Here’s a super sweet treat to brighten your Easter dessert table! Make Peeps sugar cookies! All you’ll need is a Peep cookie cutter from Amazon, ingredients to make sugar cookies, and ingredients to make icing. This is a simple sugar cookie recipe so don’t the ingredients fool you.
How to Make Sugar Cookies
First, make the sugar cookies AHEAD OF TIME. You will need the usual ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt, vanilla, unsalted butter, sugar, and eggs). Cream the softened butter with the sugar until it is smooth (not grainy) and then add both eggs while mixing. Keep on mixing and add some vanilla. That’s right, mix some MORE and sift in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Make sure all the ingredients are thoroughly blended, and make the dough into a ball. Put it in the fridge for at least 6 hours. I put it in overnight and make the sugar cookies in the morning, or make the dough in the morning, and then decorate the sugar cookies after dinner.
Once your dough is ready, preheat the oven to 325 and let the dough sit out to soften JUST a bit. Put flour on the cutting board, rub flour on the rolling pin, and roll out the dough. Line the cookie sheet with parchment paper, and using the Wilton 2 count Peep cookie cutter from Amazon, cut that dough into Peep shapes! Check to see if the sugar cookies are thoroughly baked after about 8 minutes. Once you take them out, cool them on a wire rack for about 10 minutes.
How to make Sugar Cookie Icing
While all the baking and cooling is going on, make your icing. Combine 2 egg whites, a cup of powdered sugar, and 1/2 tsp of cream of tartar in a mixing bowl, and mix it on medium speed for about 4 minutes. If the icing is not stiff enough, add 1/4 c of powdered sugar and mix it well. Take out a bunch of tablespoons of icing and put it in another bowl and add several drops of black gel to the original bowl of icing. Stir it to get the color distributed throughout. Add pink to the second bowl. Once you’ve made your two colors, pipe them into a frosting bag (one for each color) with #2 tips. Outline the sugar cookies with the pink icing, add about a teaspoon of water to that icing and stir it to mix. Fill in the sugar cookie with this thinner icing by spreading it with a butter knife.
Shake a generous amount of pink sanding sugar all over the sugar cookies and let them set for about 5 minutes. Shake the excess off.
Now using your frosting bag filled with black frosting, make two dots for the eyes, and one for the nose. Let the sugar cookies dry for about 2 hours.
You’re done! Now just enjoy your Peeps Sugar Cookies!!
Be sure to check out all out other cookie recipes
- Sugar Cookie Ingredients:
- 5 C flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1½ C soft unsalted butter
- 2 C granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- Wilton 2 count Peep Cookie Cutter (Michael's)
- Icing Ingredients:
- 2 egg whites
- 1 C powder sugar
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- Pink and black gel food coloring
- Pink Sanding Sugar (Michael's)
- Cookie Directions:
- Cream the soft butter with the sugar until the combination is smooth not grainy to the touch in a mixing bowl.
- Add all 2 eggs at one time...Continue to mix.
- Add the vanilla. Continue mixing.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture.
- Continue mixing to make sure all ingredients are thoroughly blended.
- Make the dough into a ball, wrap it in cling wrap completely covering the entire dough ball.
- Put in the refrigerator for about 6 hours or overnight. Check to see if the dough is firm.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Pull the cookie dough out of the refrigerator and set it out to soften up a bit.
- Put flour out on the cutting board, rub flour on the rolling pin, and (if needed) work some flour into the batter.
- Roll the dough out on the cutting board and using the cookie cutter begin to make your cookies.
- Line the cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a metal spatula move the cut cookies to the parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 8 minutes. Check to see if the cookies are thoroughly baked.
- Take the cookies off of the cookie sheet and put on a wire rack to cool completely.
- (About 10 minutes).
- Icing Directions:
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl mixing on medium speed for 4 minutes. (except your food coloring)
- If icing is not stiff enough add ¼ C powder sugar. When this sugar is added stir to mix well.
- Take out several tablespoons of the icing into one bowl.
- Put the remaining icing into the other bowl.
- Add several drops of black gel food coloring to the first bowl of icing. Stir well to mix the color.
- To the second bowl of icing add several drops of pink food coloring mixing well to make sure the color is blended throughout the entire bowl of icing.
- Spoon each color of icing into individual frosting bags with a #2 tips. Twist the open end of the bag to push the icing to the tip.
- Set the black icing aside.
- Outline each of the cookies with the pink icing.
- Allow this to dry for 30 seconds before filling in the body with the thinner pink icing. (After outlining the cookie, squeeze the majority of the pink icing into a bowl then add 1 tsp of water, stir to mix.)
- Using a butter knife spread the icing all over the cookie. Allow to dry for 1 minute.
- Gently shake the pink sanding sugar all over the cookies.
- Allow the cookies to set for about 5 minutes then shake the excess off of the cookies.
- Using the frosting bag filled with the black icing make each dot for the two eyes and one for the nose.
- Set aside the cookies to allow to completely dry... about 1-2 hours.