I love coffee cake! Is it because it makes it fine for you to have cake for breakfast? Absolutely! The sweet, crumbly goodness or coffee cake is amazing. You can make your own coffee cake with this delicious butter crumb coffee cake recipe.
You’ll need flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, butter, eggs, vanilla, and buttermilk for the cake. For the filling you’ll need brown sugar, and cinnamon, and for the crumb topping, you will need more butter, flour, cinnamon, brown sugar, vanilla, and powdered sugar!
While your oven is preheating to 250 degrees, grease a 9 x 13″ baking dish and make the cake. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a mixer bowl. Gradually add in butter while mixing. The mixture will be crumbly, and that’s good!
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, brown sugar, and vanilla. Cut your butter into the bowl using a pastry cutter or a fork. Make sure it is nice and crumbly!
Sprinkle this topping evenly over your cake batter, and bake it for about 45 minutes. You’ll want to make sure that the cake is set before taking it out. Once the cake is cool, dust it with the powdered sugar.
- 2½ cup Flour
- 1 cup Sugar
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¾ cup softened Butter (cut in 1 tbsp pieces)
- 3 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- ⅔ cup Buttermilk (or ⅔ cup Milk + 1 tsp White Vinegar)
- 1¼ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon
- Crumb Topping:
- 1 cup cold Butter (cut in 1 tbsp pieces)
- 2¼ cup Flour
- 1½ tbsp Cinnamon
- 1¾ cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- ¼ cup Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease 9x13" baking dish or spray with nonstick spray.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt in mixer bowl.
- Gradually add in butter while mixing. Mixture will be crumbly.
- Add in eggs, vanilla and buttermilk while beating until the mixture is combined (scrape down the bowl periodically).
- Set batter aside.
- Mix together filling ingredients.
- Pour ½ the batter into the prepared pan and spread to level.
- Sprinkle filling on top of the batter.
- Pour remaining batter on top.
- Use a butter knife to swirl Through batter.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, brown sugar, and vanilla.
- Cut butter into bowl using pastry cutter or forks until crumbly.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the cake sets up.
- Allow to cool and dust top with powdered sugar.